Conditions to be fulfilled by new agencies
Any company wishing to have authorisation as a travel agency must provide the following documents:
1. an official identity document of the applicant, if a natural person is involved, or of the administrators or managers if a legal entity is involved, as well as an official identity document of the person(s) responsible for day-to-day management of the company.
The party concerned must send the contents of his/her electronic identity card or a copy of his/her passport, or in their absence, a copy of any document considered an official identity document;
2. an excerpt from the police record issued within three months at most in the name of the applicant for authorisation, and of the administrators or managers if a legal entity is involved, as well as in the name of the person(s) responsible for day-to-day management of the company.
When the party concerned is a national of one of the Member States of the European Union, or of the European Free Trade Association, the excerpt from the police record can be replaced by any document issued by a competent authority of the State of origin showing that the persons involved fulfil the requirement of integrity;
3. the provisions relating to the company or association which the law requires to be published in the annexes of the Belgian Official Gazette (Moniteur belge), in their most recent state.
The travel agency activity must be the principal activity conducted. Consequently, the company object is to include only the travel agency activity;
4. certificates, diplomas or other documents attesting to the professional competence of the applicant, if a natural person is involved, or of the persons responsible for day-to-day management if a legal entity is involved;
The professional competence of the applicant or of the person responsible for day-to-day management can be proven by means of certificates and other documents: attestations, work placement agreement, pay slips, attestation from the company administration, previous employment contracts, etc.
Some diplomas allow the period of experience in a travel agency to be reduced.
Various alternatives are offered to nationals of the European Union and the EFTA;
5. proof of deposit of surety with a deposit and consignment organisation or of constitution of a joint guarantee with a financial institution or insurance company.
For companies that mainly sell package trips or stays through other travel agencies, the amount of the surety :
- for 20 employees at most, is 50,000 euros increased by 25,000 euros per increment of 10 employees.
The amount of the surety depends on the number of employees :
- from 0 to 2 employees: the amount of the surety is 10,000 euros;
- from 3 to 5 employees: the amount of the surety is 15,000 euros;
- from 6 to 10 employees: the amount of the surety is 20,000 euros;
- more than 10 employees: the amount of the surety is 25,000 euros, increased by 7500 euros per branch.
6. a copy of the insurance contract covering civil and professional liability and of the contract covering risks of financial insolvency.
Every travel agency is required to take out the following two policies and to provide a copy of these :