Type-A work permit
To be eligible for a type-A work permit you must be able to provide proof of four years employment on the basis of a type-B work permit within a period of ten years legal stay.
To obtain a type-A work permit, you must be able to provide proof of four years employment within a period of ten years uninterrupted legal stay in Belgium. Those four years employment must have been on the basis of a type-B work permit.
Have to prove only three years employment (on the basis of a type-B work permit):
nationals of states that have signed an international employment accord with Belgium : Algeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, FYR Macedonia, Morocco, Montenegro, Serbia, Tunisia, Turkey
This minimum three- or four-year qualifying period (during which a type-B work permit is required) can also be reduced by one year if the spouse, registered partner or dependent children of the foreign national are legally staying in the same household.
Note. The following work capacities are not taken into account when calculating the years of work covered by a type-B work permit (Royal Decree of 9 June 1999):
- Highly qualified staff
- Employees on temporary assignment
- Researchers and guest professors
- Technical experts
- Young au pairs
- Spouse, registered partners and dependent children of a foreign national holding a type-B work permit or registered as self-employed (Art. 9.16)
- Spouse, registered partners and dependent children of a foreign national exempt from the work permit obligation (Art. 9.17).
In the event of residence in the Brussels-Capital Region, applicants apply directly to the Ministry of the Brussels-Capital Region, enclosing the following documents required for an apply for type-A work permit (.pdf).
- Application form for a type-A work permit (.pdf) (FR)
- Information sheet about the worker (.pdf) (FR), signed by the mayor of the commune in which the applicant resides
This section applies to employees who work in the Brussels-Capital Region (type-B permit of blue card) or who reside in the Brussels-Capital Region (type-A permit or type-C permit).
Direction de la Migration économique
Bd du Jardin Botanique, 20
E Contact form
T +32 (0)2 204 13 99
Counters, Work permits
open Monday to Friday from 8.45 am to 11.45 am
Map to the counters