Conditions and obligations for hotels
To run a hotel, you have to meet the following conditions.
- the general conditions for running any tourist accommodation;
- The specific conditions
For a comprehensive view, consult Appendix 1 of the decree, of which an extract only is given here.
Use our online tool to find your way around the obligations corresponding to your situation.
Opening period and capacity
- A hotel is an establishment with at least six rooms or suites.
- It is open for at least nine months a year.
- A hotel offers hotel services (for example, breakfast, beds changed, rooms cleaned, caretaker, reception).
- The hotel is permanently accessible to tourists.
- A reception service is permanently available.
- The building is kept in good condition, both inside and outside. The communal areas and rooms are cleaned daily.
Information and identification
- The hotel is clearly identifiable from the outside.
- The communal areas accessible to tourists have sufficient lighting and can be aired.
- The hotel has bathroom facilities on the ground floor and on an upper or lower floor.
- A heating system guarantees a minimum temperature in the rooms and communal areas.
- has a clearly identified entrance door and can be locked
- private bathroom facilities
- general electric lighting
- natural lighting: a window looking outside
- if the window does not open, a ventilation system
- beds (with mattress, mattress cover, pillows and bedding)
- a wardrobe
- one seat per person
- a chair and table
- a wastepaper basket.
The private bathroom in each room includes:
- a washbasin with drinking water
- electric lighting
- a window or ventilation grid
- a bath or a shower
- a storage area near the washbasin
- a mirror
- one hand towel per guest
- one bath towel per guest
- a small waste bin.