Conditions to be fulfilled by new agencies
Any company wishing to have authorisation as a travel agency must provide the following documents:
1. An official identity document of the applicant, when a natural person is concerned. If it is a legal entity, an official identity document of the person(s) in charge of the daily management of the company.
The party concerned must send the contents of his/her electronic identity card or a copy of his/her passport, or in their absence, a copy of any document considered an official identity document.
2. An excerpt from the police record issued no more than three months ago in the name of the applicant for the license, and, if the applicant is a legal entity, as well in the name of the person(s) responsible for the day-to-day management of the company.
The excerpt may be replaced by any document issued by a competent authority of the State of origin stating that the applicant or, where applicable, the person (s) in charge of the daily management of the company meets the requirement of honorableness.
3. If the applicant is a legal person, the list of names of the directors, partners, majority shareholders of the company, business managers, mandators, and more generally, persons authorized to represent and bind the company to third parties.
4. The provisions relating to the company or association of which the law requires publication in the annexes of the Belgian Official Gazette, in their most recent version.
The activity of travel agency must be exercised in main occupation. The social objective will therefore only mention the activity of travel agency.
5. Proof of deposit of surety with a deposit and consignment organisation or of constitution of a joint guarantee with a financial institution or insurance company.
For companies that mainly sell package trips or stays through other travel agencies, the amount of the surety:
- for 20 employees at most, is 50,000 euros increased by 25,000 euros per increment of 10 employees.
The amount of the surety depends on the number of employees :
- from 0 to 2 employees: the amount of the surety is 10,000 euros;
- from 3 to 5 employees: the amount of the surety is 15,000 euros;
- from 6 to 10 employees: the amount of the surety is 20,000 euros;
- more than 10 employees: the amount of the surety is 25,000 euros, increased by 7500 euros per branch.
6. A copy of the insurance contract covering civil and professional liability and of the contract covering risks of financial insolvency.
Every travel agency is required to take out the following two policies and to provide a copy of these :
- an insurance policy covering the professional civil liability of the company
- an insurance policy covering financial insolvency :
- Travel Guarantee Fund