Family members of an european blue card holder

Family members of an EU Blue Card holder may be employed in Belgium by virtue of an employment permit and a type-B work permit.
The spouse/legal cohabitee and children of the worker concerned are not entitled to a type B work permit during the period of validity of the temporary employment permit (unless other legal provisions apply). Not until the worker has received a valid EU Blue Card  will his spouse/legal cohabitee and children be eligible for (consideration for) employment in Belgium.
An employer applying to recruit a family member of a Blue Card holder must obtain an employment permit before employing any such person [1]. The granting of such a permit will not be subject to prior examination of the labour market.

Contact Contact


Brussels Economy and Employment
Direction de la Migration économique
Bd du Jardin Botanique, 20
1035 Brussels
E Contact form
T +32 (0)2 204 13 99

Counters, Work permits

CCN - Brussels-North station
Rue du Progrès 80
1030 Brussels
open Monday to Friday from 8.45 am to 11.45 am

Federal, Flanders, Wallonia