(art. 2,26 and 9,8 Royal Decree 09/06/1999)


If the non-European worker is a researcher, the type of authorisation varies

  • based on whether or not they work in the frame of a hosting agreement and
  • based on the duration of the employment in Belgium.

The researcher works in Belgium in the frame of a hosting agreement (regardless the work duration)

You do not need to ask Brussels Economy and Employment for employment authorisation in order to work in Belgium. (automatic exemption by virtue of article 2.26 of the royal decree dated 9 June 1999)

The researcher works in Belgium for more than 90 days and four years at most (without a hosting agreement) (art. 9,8 royal decree 09/06/1999)

Apply for a single permit

The researcher works in Belgium in the frame of a hosting agreement for maximum 90 days (without a hosting agreement) (art. 9,8 royal decree 09/06/1999)

Apply for a work permit

(In case of successive jobs, the previous periods will be taken into account for the calculation of the 90 days. If the 90 days are exceeded, see the procedure for a single permit.)

Does this not apply to you? 
Check the page "Other case".

Contact Contact

Covid-19 measures

Contact us by e-mail only and send your dossier by e-mail.
More information


Brussels Economy and Employment
Direction de la Migration économique
Bd du Jardin Botanique, 20
1035 Brussels
E Contact form
T +32 (0)2 204 13 99

Counters, Work permits

CCN - Brussels-North station
Rue du Progrès 80
1030 Brussels
Attention: our counters are closed until further notice due to the Covid-19 measures

Map to the counters

Federal, Flanders, Wallonia

Regulation Regulation