Shortfall occupations

Employers may apply for a permit to employ long-term residents of another European Union member state in a shortfall occupation in this list.

Persons who have the status of ‘long-term resident' in another European Union member state can be employed in a shortfall occupation in Belgium if they have an employment permit and a type-B work permit (by virtue of Directive 2003/109/EC and article 9.20 of the Royal Decree of 9 June 1999 (FR/NL) executing the Act of 30 April 1999 on the employment of foreign nationals). After effective employment for a continuous period of at least 12 months, long-term residents will be exempt of the obligation to hold a work permit.

Contact Contact


Brussels Economy and Employment
Direction de la Migration économique
Bd du Jardin Botanique, 20
1035 Brussels
E Contact form
T +32 (0)2 204 13 99

Counters, Work permits

CCN - Brussels-North station
Rue du Progrès 80
1030 Brussels
open Monday to Friday from 8.45 am to 11.45 am
Map to the counters

Federal, Flanders, Wallonia

Competent region Competent region

This section applies to employees who work in the Brussels-Capital Region (type-B permit of blue card) or who reside in the Brussels-Capital Region (type-A permit or type-C permit).

Remunerations Remunerations

Check the minimum remuneration amounts.
As of 01/01/2017, the remuneration amounts for executive positions, highly qualified personnel, artists and blue cards will be adapted.