Work permit application

Highly qualified seconded worker / Seconded director - maximum 90 days in Belgium

(art. 9,6 and 9,7 royal decree 9 June 1999)


If the duration of the employment in Belgium is of maximum 90 days (in case of successive and uninterrupted jobs, the previous periods are taken into account to calculate the 90 days), you need to submit the following documents:

  1. Form
    PDF  Authorisation application to employ a foreign worker for maximum 90 days - Employer abroad (in French or in Dutch)
  2. Medical certificate of the Immigration Office for a foreign worker (in French or in Dutch)
  3. Other required documents

This concerns you if the yearly remuneration of the worker exceeds the following amount should you file your application in 2019:

  • director: 69,637 euros (seconded: 5,803.08 euros x 12; NSSO in Belgium: 5,002.66 euros x 13.92),
  • highly qualified worker: 41,739 euros (seconded: 3,478.25 euros x 12; NSSO in Belgium: 2,998.49 euros x 13,92).

If that is not the case, see this page.

Should you file your application in 2020:

  • director: 71.521 euros (seconded: 5,960,08 euros x 12; NSSO in Belgium: 5.138 euros x 13.92),
  • highly qualified worker: 42.869 euros (seconded: 3.572,42 euros x 12; NSSO in Belgium: 3.079,67 euros x 13,92).
Please note, if the renewal of an authorisation entails total employment of more than 90 days, you must apply for a permit via the single procedure - and not a work permit.


What is the procedure?


The potential employer completes an application for authorisation to employ a foreign worker. He forwards it to Brussels Economy and Employment. Brussels Economy and Employment examines the application with regard to the conditions of employment. A) If Brussels Economy and Employment refuses the request: Brussels Economy and Employment notifies its decision to the employer and, if applicable, to the worker who is legally resident in Belgium. The employer and, where applicable, the worker have 30 days from the notification of refusal to lodge an appeal. B) If agreement is given, the employer obtains an employment permit and the worker obtains a work permit. If the worker is in Belgium, he goes to his/her commune of residence to receive the work permit and to apply for a residence permit. If the worker is abroad, the employer sends the work permit to the worker. He or she goes to the embassy / consulate to apply for a visa before coming to Belgium. Once in Belgium, the worker goes to his/her commune of residence to get his/her permit.

The procedure requires a maximum of 90 days between the time the application is complete with Brussels Economy and Employment, and the issuance of the single permit/the notification of refusal.

Contact Contact

Covid-19 measures

Contact us by e-mail only and send your dossier by e-mail.
More information


Brussels Economy and Employment
Direction de la Migration économique
Bd du Jardin Botanique, 20
1035 Brussels
E Contact form
T +32 (0)2 204 13 99

Counters, Work permits

CCN - Brussels-North station
Rue du Progrès 80
1030 Brussels
Attention: our counters are closed until further notice due to the Covid-19 measures

Map to the counters

Federal, Flanders, Wallonia

Regulation Regulation